Big Lunch and Streetplay
Calverley Big Lunch, 16 September 2017 (venues and times to be confirmed)
The Big Lunch is a "one day" get-together for neighbours – an idea from the Eden Project, encouraging people across the UK to come together for a few hours of food, friendship and fun.
The Calverley Big Lunch will again be in September
All are welcome to join in.
Great Get Together
Sunday 18 June 2017
We would encourage you to listen to the Leeds Concert Band in the park between 2.30pm and 4.30pm on the 18 June, bring a picnic, share it with friends, family and neighbours. Just get together and have fun. It really is that simple.
The initiative aims to create stronger, friendlier communities in which people start to share things, from conversation and ideas to skills and resources.
We are trying to pull this community event together and anyone who could offer help, donate food or provide sponsorship this would really help us enormously.
We do hope that you are able to support our community project and look forward to seeing you on the day/evening.
Calverley Community Awards
As part of "The Big Lunch" Creative Calverley are introducing a new annual event to Calverley the "Calverley Community Awards".
Planning for 2017 awards in underway and it is likely we will host a Big Lunch Event in September.
Nominations for Calverley Community Awards are now open.
The public vote will commence in September 2017.
2016 winners were:
King of Calverley (Phil Arnold)
Queen of Calverley (Waheeda Hussain)
Best Street (Salisbury Street)
Best Achiever (Under 18) (Demi Mills
Best Achiever (18 and over) (Bev & Steve Robinson)
Best Neighbour (Bev & Steve Robinson)
Contribution to the Community (Bev & Steve Robinson)
Best Team or Club (Atitude Dance)
Best Place (Calverley Park)
Best Place to Drink (New Inn)
Best Place to Eat (Thornhill Arms)
Best Cat (Elvis)
Best Dog (Ziggy)
Big Lunch Theme
We have a theme of "Roald Dahl" and will be posting details of activities you can "get involved" with in the lead up to the event, whether it is making whipple scrumptious fudge mallow, making a crocodile trap, drawing a picture of Matilda, putting on a Fantastic Mr Fox play the list is endless.
Does your pram shout LOOK AT ME NOW?
Why not spruce up your stroller, prettify your pram, and enter the Calverley Big Lunch Decorated Pram Competition.
Go over the top – be glitzy and gorgeous, the blingier the better.
Calverley Methodist Church Hall, 1pm until 4pm
Revolting Rhymes Tea Party
Cup Cake Making
Fun for all the family (£1 donation encouraged)
Calverley Library are to have a very special and creative "Story Time" at 10.30am which features An Enormous Crocodile
A Big Lunch and Showcase of Community Talent will take place at The Barn, (Near Calverley Parish Church from 12pm
People of all ages can enter the showcase and you can enter as many categories as you would like. The showcase is for fun only. You can turn up on the day with your entries.
Paper based versions of the entry form are also available from Calverley Library, Calverley Fish and Chip Shop, Calverley News or Calverley Post Office
- Dress up as a character from a Roald Dahl book (any age)
- Make and decorate a cake (based on a Roald Dahl character or book)
- Matchbox containing items beginning with 'C' (box with the most items wins, maximum box size 55mm x 40mm)
- Handwriting Task, handwrite on a piece of plain A4 paper
And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
Roald Dahl, The Minpins
- Model Using Egg Boxes (based on a Roald Dahl character or book)
- Puppet (any medium based on a Roald Dahl character or book)
- Painting or Drawing, based on a Roald Dahl character or book (not to exceed A3 size)
- Model made from Playdoh, Plasticine or Similar (based on a Roald Dahl character or book)
- Make your very own Mr Twit Beard (draw, paint, glue) your own Mr Twit beard, attach some string so you can attach it to your face
- Family Craft Project (any craft item made by a family group, adults and children)
- Colour Photograph (Something beginning with 'W' maximum size 8" x 6")
- Make your own BFG Dream Jar (Use a jam jar and put inside something that you may dream of)
- Write your own short story
- An animal made from fruit
- Bottle of non alcoholic drink (with ingredients list and recipe attached, must be drinkable and suitable for human consumption not like George's Marvellous Medicine) based on a Roald Dahl character or book
- Make your own sweet recipe (attach a list of ingredients and a drawing of how the sweet(s) may look (based on Willy Wonka)
- 4 Decorated Gingerbread people (decorated as a character from a Roald Dahl book, bought biscuits allowed)
Information from Leeds City Council on road closure is available here
If you have an interest , expertise or enthusiasm in any of the above areas, please do GET INVOLVED, we need proactive people to drive this event so that as many people as possible can join in the fun.